[rescue] Amiga 1000 rescue!

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 10:23:55 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:54:20AM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
[...]
> Will an external drive from an Amiga 500 plug into the 1000?

Yes.

There is a gotcha here in that Kickstart 1.x won't boot from anything other
than drive 0, so it can normally just be used as a second drive. There is
however a wheeze where you solder a couple of 40 pin(?) DIP sockets together
to swap the drive select pins on the controller chip and thus make the
external drive the boot drive.

> It was a d-sub connector.

23 pin, although you can take a file to a 25 pin if you're stuck. I've got
about twenty of the connectors in my junkbox if anybody needs one.

> There are things like this also:
> http://sensi.org/~tnt23/megadrive/

That's rather shiny.