[rescue] Amiga 1000 rescue!

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jun 22 23:40:28 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:28:22PM -0700, Ian Finder wrote:
>Just picked up an Amiga 1000 with a bad floppy drive, and no OS media.

I say this only as a basis for research and not as something you should
do, as this is now 24 years later. (I bought an A1000 in 1986).

 From what I remembered the A1000 used a standard PC floppy drive. The difference
was in the encoding, which was the controller chip. It could be forced
to read PC disks.

The place I worked at at the time had a buy a PC, they pay half deal.
Someone brought in his A1000 and booted the PC emulator. The person
watching it said ok, and several people bought Amigas under the PC plan.

So find someone who actually knows and check it out.

Bootable media is going to be difficult to find, as it needs low density
aka PC 720K, Mac 800k double sided disks). You can fake it by covering the
hole on high density disks, but don't expect them to last forever.

Good luck.

Geoff.

I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.