[rescue] What we have here is a failure to communicate

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jun 7 10:10:32 CDT 2010

    Greetings rescuers,

    A couple of weeks ago my long-faithful SMC "TigerSwitch" lost 1/4
of its 24 ports; they stopped reliably passing data between them and
caused large delays and much frustration as timeouts kicked in and
mandated retransmissions.  Today, the rest went indicating the end of
the line for this old beast.  I could deal with 18 ports operational
out of 24, but zero out of 24 is a bit much.

    It's a bit of a long-shot, but if anybody has one of these 24-port
devices lying around lonely and unused, I'd like to make an offer on
it.

    This is a nice switch; I like the fact that the ports are all
grouped on one side and the lights on the other (which can be
programmed via SNMP); this makes cable-management much easier and
gives better visibility to the lights (an important thing to
old-school types).  I also have quite a bit of custom-written SNMP
monitoring stuff that's tied to this device's MIB (one has to learn
SNMP somehow) that I'd rather not reimplement for another MIB.

    Takers?

    Cheers!