[rescue] Looking for available DEC stuff North/Central Indiana

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jun 7 08:29:34 CDT 2010

On 6/6/2010 10:39 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> I"m in South Bend, IN, and have a MicroVAX 3400 and a VAXServer 3300
> as well as some Sun stuff.  Maybe some SGI.  I also have a nCUBE-2 if
> that sort of thing interests anyone here. I haven't touched most of
> the stuff in years and would love to see it go to a good home.

I got a couple of replies off-list about the nCUBE, so I'll reply here...

I have the 4/470 host, it has a VME card for the nCUBE and cable.  I
believe that the software on the host is intact, but the last time i
started it up was probably 7 years ago, so we can cast lots on whether
the hard drives spin up or not.   The nCUBE has a single CPU board,
which has 64 CPU modules.  There's a blurb about it on this page here:
http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~hankd/PPL/Index.html#ncube

I got it from Purdue thinking that it would be cool to play with, but
with no documentation, no experience with such systems, no application
for it, and no real programming experience, it didn't take long for me
to figure out that i wasn't going to get very far with it.  Sounds like
there might sufficient interest here, so maybe we can get something
going, or at least I can get it to a better home.  I believe it uses a
significant amount of power, so i don't think i can run it where it is
currently located for more than a few hours at a time while i am there.
It's quite large, so moving it out of it's current location will take
some effort.  We got it down to the basement with just two guys, but
every time i think back to that day, i wonder how i didn't end up in the
hospital.

     -Dan Sikorski