[rescue] eSATA or firewire in Solaris Sparc system

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Jan 14 05:39:54 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:08:33PM -0600, Jerry K wrote:
> I am currently in a place at $HOME where I would like to be able to
> add an eSATA card to an older Sparc system for low cost storage.  I
> just went and Yahoo'ed the Silicon Image Sil3112 & 3114 controllers
> below, and from what I can tell from the images, these controllers
> would be for internal storage, not external storage.

Does Solaris 10 for SPARC support those controllers? I vaguely remember
there being some differences in SATA support between x86_64 and SPARC, with
the former supporting more low-end controllers and the latter supporting
mostly SAS controllers.

Sorry for being so vague, but it'd be best if you check the SPARC HCL
before laying down any cash.

As has been mentioned, brackets that allow internal SATA ports to be
exposed as eSATA are quite easy to find, so that shouldn't be a problem.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner
 mj at mjturner.net      <>     http://mjturner.net/