[rescue] Solaris 10 (Sparc) SCSI tape problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Aug 21 15:08:42 CDT 2010

On 08/21/10 15:54, r.stricklin wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> On 08/21/10 15:21, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>> Isn't there an st.conf or tapes.conf where you need to enter tape
>>> geomety?
>>
>> Supposedly, Solaris 10 since 5/08 release has had automatic tape
>> configuration for drives that support it.  One of the things I've been
>> hunting for is information on setting up the configuration manually
>> as a
>> fallback, in case this drive DOESSN'T support it, but so far I've been
>> unable to find anything useful.  Haven't stumbled across the right
>> magic
>> set of search terms, probably.
>
> /kernel/drv/st.conf also lists which targets it will look for tape
> devices at. It's worth looking that the high order targets (8-15)
> aren't commented out. The configuration string won't come into play if
> the driver can't see the drive.

Yeah, I've just been looking at st.conf.  It looks to me as though it's
mainly for configuring a drive once the device node exists, and you need
to use mt -f /dev/rmt* status to get the right config string.  My
problem is I can't get the device nodes for the tape drive created in
the first place.  /devices/pci at 1c,600000/scsi at 2 contains all the correct
nodes that it should for the disks; /devices/pci at 1c,600000/scsi at 2,1
(which should contain the device nodes for the tape drive) is empty.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.