[rescue] Curious...

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Wed Aug 18 17:31:10 CDT 2010

Out of curiosity, I went to Oracle today (after all this discussion about
firmware downloads) and was, without a valid contract,
able to get to this Sun / Oracle page:  Download Sun Fire X4450 Server
Software 3.3.0 for ILOM and BIOS, English
The image contents list : BIOS is updated to version 3B67

This is off the wikis.sun.com site, which is branded as an Oracle site.

I was able to get to this and could download with the login I have with
Oracle.   I know I don't have any existing support contracts, but I was able
to get here to download this.  Is this not the BIOS for the machine?    It
looked like some stuff is still available.  However, some of the links off
this don't work, some do.  I'm at a loss as to why...

I don't know what exactly this means, but it looked like at least this BIOS
was still available from Oracle.

Looking into the license agreement, at least for this stuff, shows this :

Permitted Use: Unless otherwise licensed to You, You may use the Software
for Your own Commercial, Individual, and Research and Instructional Uses
only in operating the Computer Equipment for as long as You own, borrow, or
lease the Computer Equipment.

So, if anyone happens to have a X4550 Server,  you might want to get this
BIOS update while it's still available.

Earl