[rescue] Ultra 5 OS

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 12:32:22 CDT 2010

Ok, is there something unusual about the WD 45gb eide drives? First
the NetBSD install fails while attempting to do the disklable - first
with both drives attached (one as master on one channel one as slave
with the CDROM as master on the other channel) then with each one
separate as master alone on each channel.

I then dug hard and found my Solaris 8 box and that installer barfs
during disk setup as well.

Probe-IDE at the OK prompt sees everything appropriately and all
selftests pass. It is a few versions back on the PROM but I can't do
anything about that because 1) no operationg system and 2) no support
contract to dl the PROM update. Still, I doubt that is the problem.

Any clues or tips?

At least my other repair project went well - the fan in my Mac Book
was dying and causing over heat shut downs every couple of hours. I
found a new fan at Ifixit.com, swapped it out (this is really a quite
easy to work on laptop) and am now running 20 degrees C cooler. :)
Much easier on the lap too!

Next up is my son's Nintendo DS case with the busted hinge.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.