[rescue] Ultra 5 OS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Apr 16 19:42:09 CDT 2010

On 04/16/10 20:17, Dave Fischer wrote:

>>> That's weird.  I haven't had any problem with any reasonably recent
>>> OpenBSD on Sparc hardware.  it Just Works.
>
>> Seconded here. I ran OBSD on a SPARC 20 for my web and mail server for
>> years, and still run a SPARC 4 and a SPARC 5 with OBSD for firewalls.
>> The only problems I have had have been overheating in the dual-cpu 20
>> and a bad disk drive in one of the others.
>
> OpenBSD is definitely rock solid on 32-bit SPARC systems. I don't
> have much experience with it on UltraSPARC though, and the question
> above is about problems on an Ultra 2.

My firewall from 2005 until a few months ago was a U5 running OpenBSD.
Granted, a U5 isn't a SCSI box, and your question was specifically about
SCSI.  But I'm pretty sure we have listers running OpenBSD on Ultra2s,
the Ultra2 is specifically listed by name on the OpenBSD Sparc64 HCL,
and I personally know of people running OpenBSD on Ultra2s.

Really.  Don't worry about it.  If it doesn't work, it's because you
have a bad install CD or there's a problem with your Ultra2.  (Make sure
the OpenBoot PROM is fully up-to-date before you try to install, just to
be safe.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.