[rescue] Ultra 5 OS

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Fri Apr 16 18:42:24 CDT 2010

>> I recently went through this with my Ultra 2.  OpenBSD didn't handle the
>> SCSI drives properly so I went for NetBSD.  "And it just worked".  No fuss,
>> no muss.
>
> That's weird.  I haven't had any problem with any reasonably recent
> OpenBSD on Sparc hardware.  it Just Works.

Seconded here. I ran OBSD on a SPARC 20 for my web and mail server for
years, and still run a SPARC 4 and a SPARC 5 with OBSD for firewalls.
The only problems I have had have been overheating in the dual-cpu 20
and a bad disk drive in one of the others.

I have used 3.x and 4.x on SPARCs with no software problems at all.

Steve