[rescue] Ultra 5 OS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 15 15:43:12 CDT 2010

On 04/15/10 15:43, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 02:42:32PM -0500, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
>> So now the question becomes which OS for this older (older says the
>> guy who used to just be happy with an IPX w/ 'Weitek Power Up' on
>> board...) system?
>>
>> 1) Solaris 10 recently got it's license Oracled.
>
> I thought it was still available for home non-commercial usage.

Not according to my reading of the updated license terms.  As far as I
can see, you get 90 days free trial, and then either you buy a full
support contract or you're in violation of license terms.  There appears
to be no such thing as a free hobbyist license any more.  (And the
support contracts aren't cheap; I can't find the percentage right now,
but if memory serves, it's a nontrivial percentage of the original
purchase cost of the hardware you're running it on.)

>> 3) I'm most famiier with NetBSD. Are either Free or Open significantly
>> better from a user perspective?
>
> NetBSD is my preference.  OpenBSD may be nice enough.  FreeBSD seemed to
> treat SPARC like a second class citizen the last I looked.

Only second?  Last time I tried to install FreeBSD on Sparc I was
haughtily told that no, there was no support for Sun consoles in FreeBSD
and never would be.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.