[rescue] Macintosh G5 troubleshooting

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Apr 12 07:07:26 CDT 2010

> If it's going into Open Firmware still, try:
>
> reset-nvram
> reset-all
>
> It's a long shot but I've seen it fix otherwise unusable machines. You
> might also replace the hard drive and then do those same commands again.
> I had a batch three that were fixed that way.

Also, it may be long enough that the PRAM battery has died; a dead one can render a machine unbootable.  Another thing to check is to see exactly *where* the boot is failing, by holding down the Command-V key pair (for verbose boot) when booting from the CD, until the grey screen is replaced with a white-on-black text console.

You can also boot holding down Command-S to boot to single-user mode.