[rescue] Looking for a G4 MDD power supply... stupid power surge...

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 17:25:15 CDT 2010

--- On Fri, 4/9/10, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Plan A is to fix this one (ideal).

Well, Plan A was a success. After disassembling the power supply and checking voltages, I found that the fuse was good, the rectifier was good, and the main DC rail was running at a good 160v. But, I was getting absolutely no output - nothing on the 5vSB leg at all.

The culprit turned out to be a single 3300uf, 10v electrolytic capacitor. The top was bulged slightly and a tiny amount of magic goo had escaped. Replacing it with another from my junk box, and I got a healthy 5v on the standby line.

Reassembling and testing with the Mac was also a success, it fired right up. I got the machine all put back together, and I'm typing this on it now.

-Ian