[rescue] rackmount kit for SGI Origin 200

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Apr 1 10:08:39 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 06:57:56PM -0400, saquinn624 at aol.com wrote:
> A kit is available from SGI (P-S-RM-KIT) that converts a tower
> onfiguration to a rackmount configuration
> oes on a google mission
>

> The rackmount kit is merely a second set of ears that go on the side. I
> suppose it might also have included a shelf, but for the most part racking a
> O200 involves pulling the skins and sliding it on a shelf. If you can get ears
> great, if not it's not a big loss since there are already ears under the skins
> that will serve.

The official SGI rackmount kit is rare as hen's teeth.  Probably because it
doesn't contain anything vital - resellers would just assume it's generic. I've
never seen the kit with my own eyes.

>From what I'm told, it contains the following:
- ears that actually fit a rack (as opposed to the ones on the case.)
- two el-cheapo L-shaped rails
- a doohickey to convert the hinge on the door

I've never seen an O200 with an intact door that one might wish to convert, so I'm
not sure what the doohickey will do for you.

The ears are also non-essential: the O200s are so heavy that metal-on-metal
friction alone stops them from sliding around.

Cheap L-shaped rails are widely available on ebay.