[rescue] Ultra 20 PSU replaceable with PC PSU?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 18:39:49 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> They are STD parts, but there was some functionality pulled (like PS/2,
> IIRC). That functions were pulled wouldn't cause me to suspect they changed
> up the PS connector... They just didn't populate some holes on the MB.
>
> There is an 'unofficial' U20 FAQ that lists the Tyan part.
>
> I have installed x64 Vista Business on mine, but had to hunt down an AC'97
> driver for sound. And it seems x64 iTunes can't handle the new Nano
> (w/camera), it doesn't recognize it...
>
> But still a fun box, ESP w/upgraded video...
>
> Lionel
>
> On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
>
>> At 12:07 PM 9/25/2009 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>>
>>> Honestly, they are standard PCs AFAIK, Tyan MBs in the case of the
>>> original U20 (which I am now using as by main workstation this
>>> week)... I would *expect* (but can not confirm) the PS is STD...
>>
>> I almost bought a U20, but something about the mobo seemed different.  I
>> think the standard Tyan had parallel and PS2 ports, but maybe the U20
>> doesn't?  (It is possible that I looked up the wrong Tyan part number.)

Based on the handbook @ Sunsolve, it's a Mitac PSU.  For the moment,
I'm swapping in the part-compatible one from the U20 that's here (it's
got ATI graphics vs the M2's nVidia, and we all know nVidia>ATI on any
*NIX, even Solaris :-).  I'll do some more googling.  I don't have
rootly priv's yet, nor access to the data center, so my tasks are
somewhat limited for the moment.

I guess I can take the noisy one home and break out the multi-meter to
see if it follows PC PSU power supply pinout.

One interesting thing I note about the inside of the machine--the
bottom is filled with dust bunnies, and there's plenty of dust on the
cables and drive cage, etc.  But there is almost nothing on the CPU
heat sink and fan.  I can only assume it has to do with the "tunnel"
that's on top of the heat sink fan that almost touches the side door
of the case.  I guess the intake is "up there" out of the fluff being
drawn in through the front grill.  Pretty interesting, might have to
think of a way to leverage this info in my NAS @ home.

=Nadine=