[rescue] Ultra 20 PSU replaceable with PC PSU?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Sep 24 19:37:48 CDT 2009

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, velociraptor wrote:

> Anyone know if I can use a bog standard 24-pin PC PSU in
> an Ultra 20 M2?  I've got one at work that's making a teeth
> grating fan noise, and I don't think I'll be able to convince
> the bosses to pony up a couple of hundred for the Sun PSU.

    Dissect the power supply, get the part number off the fan
that's obnoxious, and figure out a modern replacement.  The
cost will likely be less than 20 bucks (US) minus salary time
spent on the diagnosis, identification, and repair.  It won't
be historically accurate, but you're looking for a runner not a
museum piece....