[rescue] 2 Quick Dec PWS Questions

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 24 02:16:19 CDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:32:31 -0400
alex at lava-net.com wrote:

> First, is there any hardware difference between the A and AU series, or
> are the diferences just in firmware?
Firmware and the add on components build into the box. The A was soled
with IDE HDD / CDROM, the AU came with an additional SCSI adapter and
SCSI HDD / CDROM. If you want add SCSI yourself: Any Symbios Logic or
QLogic SCSI (or FC) adapter of that vintage should work.

> If it's just firmware, can a
> A-series machine be flashed with SRM so VMS or True64can be run?
Yes. But it may be tricky to get SRM on a A.

> Second, Do these take standard SDRAM? I've seen conflicting reports on
> this, and am not sure what to believe.
Plain SDRAM, ECC, CL-2!!!, PC100 or PC133. Can't remember if
registered / buffered or not. IIRC They need at least PC83, but will
also run with PC100 or PC133. I had PC133 in mine. The important part
is AFAIK CL-2.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen