[rescue] 2 Quick Dec PWS Questions

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 23 20:44:49 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 21:32 -0400, alex at lava-net.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Looking at aquiring an Alpha box (preferably a PWS or similar) and have
> a couple of questions about these machines.
> First, is there any hardware difference between the A and AU series, or
> are the diferences just in firmware? If it's just firmware, can a
> A-series machine be flashed with SRM so VMS or True64can be run?
> Second, Do these take standard SDRAM? I've seen conflicting reports on
> this, and am not sure what to believe.
> Thanks for any answers.
> -Alex

The only difference I know of is the firmware, although I seem to recall
that the au versions had a scsi controller and a different video card
when sold.  With openvms you have to have the non-intel chipset to boot
the ide cdrom: otherwise you have to boot using a scsi cd.

As to the memory, I think it was PC100 ECC.  I was actually looking at
my 500au this afternoon and wondering where I could acquire some memory
cheap.  The 192M I have isn't a whole lot...

Brian