[rescue] 488/S driver

Jay York jay_york at verizon.net
Fri Sep 18 10:23:37 CDT 2009

Hey Mark-

Even without documentation, all may not be lost.  Some notes from
memory on the topic of "Discovering undocumented features of SCSI
devices":

1.  Map the command universe by issuing short versions of the command
header for all command bit patterns (0-255), and noting what comes back.
2.  Your primary data movers for a device like this are probably the
small address versions of the CCS read and write commands, maybe the
medium versions, probably not the large versions.
3.  If the data movers aren't the standard CCS read and write, they
are some vendor specific commands, but the command block probably
still looks like CCS read and write.  It's less likely that they are
completely custom.
4.  Use Mode Sense input to intuit Mode Select output.

Hope that helps.  The big thing is that it can be done for all but the
most wacky of devices.

-Jay