[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 10:03:27 CST 2009

On Nov 26, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 04:57:24PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>>> HW == ?
>>
>> That's my point.
>>
>> Your rebuttal hinged on an $50K 8 dual processor system w/32 Gigs
>> of RAM being superior to a '$500 Opteron Server'.
>
> Chill, dude.

Honestly, no problem.

> This was not a personal attack or a debate, and I am
> truly sorry it was ever taken as one.

Came across as a quick dismissal, as if my suggestion had no merit.

> I just wanted to know what HW stood for - the best I can come
> up with is hardware and it makes no sense in this context!

You cataloged a system inventory that was based on the maximal config
for the machine in question, when in fact we had no system specs
available from the OP. I contend it did make sense in context, but we
don't have to agree. ;^)

If everyone here agreed all the time, it'd be a lot less interesting
around here.

Again, no problems, never took it personally.

Lionel