[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Nov 26 05:44:47 CST 2009

On 25 Nov 2009, at 19:54, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
[...]
> The other thing that I have been wondering following all of this, is
> are
> the programs he plans to run multithreaded? Video compression is not
> AFAIK something that can be done in parallel, so if you figure one
> cpu for
> video and one cpu for audio and the operating system, what do you do
> with
> the rest of them?

I can't speak for FOSS video stuff, but when I'm encoding H.264 with
Quicktime on OSX, it most definitely does use all of the CPUs it can
get. On Linux, I note that pbzip2 will use all cores to compress
files, and git can be told to do some CPU-bound things in parallel.

There's something satisfying about seeing 390-odd% CPU usage in top.