[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:40:43 CST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> A Sun Fire V890 is a fine looking hammer -> I really don't think a
> $500 opteron machine can compete with 8 X dual core US IV+ processors
> and ~32GiB RAM (and a machine that cost about $50000 in 2004).

I wasn't aware the OP had a maximal system, that would increase the
amount of money a sale could generate... I can do 8 real cores at 2.4
GHz (or better) with 32 gigs of RAM and 4x JBOD drives NEW for $2K w/
multi-year warranty.

While you assumed a HW config, I assumed that:

A) the OP had a good reason to want to run specific apps

B) the OP could not find pre-compiled versions of those apps for Solaris

C) the OP was either unable or unsuccessful at porting those apps to
Solaris

D) that the problem the OP was trying to solve was to run specific
apps, not to find an excuse to run 'something' on the server

I could be wildly off in my assumptions, and so could you - either
way, my suggestion was sound, if my dollar amount/budget was off.
Those apps running unoptimized on the hardware he has may actually run
slower than similar-era Intel/AMD hardware that is running optimized
versions of the apps.

Lionel