[rescue] DEC KA730, was Re: Electronics Recycling Day

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Nov 17 15:25:13 CST 2009

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2009, at 6:43 PM, "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> That party ended
>> in 1983 right after DEC published their infamous "suicide note";
>> with the handwrit^W graffiti firmly spray-painted on the wall
>
> Details/pointer? I've not heard of that 'note'...

http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/VAX%20Strategy%20c1979.pdf

    This is the memo laying out the "One Architecture" plan, putting
all the eggs in the VAX basket, and killing off the 18- and 36-
bitters.  It actually dates to the late 1970s -- a bit earlier than
I recalled; DEC finally pulled the plug and killed the Jupiter project
(the follow-on to the KL-10) in 1983.

    Cheers.