[rescue] Electronics Recycling Day

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Nov 15 10:19:03 CST 2009

Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Lionel Peterson asks ...
>

>> What would be your 'no question, scrap' cut-off? P4s are
>> still useful (above 2.0 Ghz), IMHO.
>>

> My threshold is a lot lower than that, for some things.  Currently, machines
> that are physically small, and quiet, tend to stick around.  I've got a
> couple of sub-1-gHz PIII PCs, for example; tiny, quiet old Intel "internet
> appliances."

There is no hard line for me.  There is some balance between physical
size, cpu power, nostalgic value, power consumption, and "cool factor".
For example, it will be hard to let go of the Onyx, even though it does
poorly in four of those categories, it has a lot of "cool factor".  I
don't think I'll ever get rid of the TI99/4a, it scores very high on the
nostalgic value for me.  PC's fail in everything except CPU power,
possibly physical size if it's a small machine, so those don't stick
around long.

    -Dan Sikorski