[rescue] Replacing Solaris Express

Bart xc68000 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 10:37:29 CST 2009

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:44:02AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>
>>> So, now that there won't be anymore releases of Solaris Express, is
>>> there an equivelent OpenSolaris replacement?
>>>
>>> Obviously there is 9.06, but I want to know where to go for a new DVD
>>> image built every 2 weeks or so.
>>>
>>> Especially since I can't easily install 9.06 on any of my SPARCs
>>> at home, and I would presume that if they were making fresh DVD images,
>>> that this issue would be fixed there prior to 10.02, plus it might be
>>> nice to get dedup earlier as well.
>>>
>> Sounds like it is time to setup a network boot server; although they
>> have changed this from the earlier netboot in some fashion as well.
>>

> I have a network boot server, and I think the changes they made to
> network booting are part of the problem with 9.06 on older hardware.

I thought they were going to finish the graphical installer with
opensolaris so that it worked on SPARC hardware.

The problem with OS on SPARC is Xorg support for any of the good video
cards (XVR600/1000/1200).  I think the only thing supported with any
sort of acceleration is the XVR-100 on pci and the XVR-300 on pci-e.

There is some hope that one will be able to graft the XSun components
onto an OS install and still use that HW.  I belive there is also an
effort to liberate some of those components so they can be bundled in a
separate installable package without hacking it.

As for net booting, I tried unsuccessfully for a week to netboot a SXCE
image with no luck.  I had to wait until my DVD showed up before I could
successfully install it.  I must say, I do like it however, and even my
SunPCI III software still works (with a small modification).  And the
desktop stuff is indeed nicer in many ways.

Glad I'm not the only person try to keep their blade alive :)