[rescue] Sparcengine AXi questions

Micah R Ledbetter vlack at vlack.com
Sat May 23 22:08:28 CDT 2009

On May 23, 2009, at 20:52:00, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
> 2) Can the OBP boot from an IDE drive and, if so, any recommendations
> for an inexpensive compatible PCI card? I know I should really go SCSI
> on this, but I think I prefer cheap plentiful storage even at the
> performance penalty.

I don't know of any IDE controllers that OBP supports besides the ones
that come built in to the motherboards to IDE Suns.

I wish I did, because both ports in my Sun Blade 100 have failed,
annoyingly, and while I have a SCSI card that is supported, the SCSI
drives I have end up making tons more noise than the rest of the
machine put together. I liked that the machine was near-silent when it
was running with an IDE drive.

- Micah