[rescue] Sun is purple - not blue....

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 12:50:28 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 05:39:14PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
[...]
> Are you trying to make me barf? AMD powered PCs of 1998-2004 era were some
> of *the* worst of *all* time. Cheap? yes. Good? I think not!

The various AMD chips up to and including the K6 series were indeed pretty
awful, but the K7 Athlon was fine, and outperformed the PIII. But a CPU
doesn't make a system, and many corners will have been cut on cheap
AMD-based systems to make them cheap and nasty.

Then again, I was pleased to discover that the Ultra 24 comes with an Intel
Core 2 CPU and is reasonably priced, unlike the AMD Opteron-based systems.