[rescue] Sun is purple - not blue....

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Mar 18 11:46:30 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:34:35PM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
>Apple buying Sun? Can you imagine Steve "I must control everything" Jobs
>taking commits for his operating system from the opensolaris community?
>HAHAHA!
>
>   Actually, Earl, we talked about that very idea this morning, too, but
>the culture clash there just may be greater than the Sun/IBM disjoint.
>*shrug* Sure would be fun, though. :7)

This was a continuation of the "Motorola Semiconductor can't produce enough
68060's for us to stay in business" discussion that was postponed by the
flirtation with the PPC. :-)

Because Freescale (same company, new name) was (and is) firmly entrenched
in building 68000's as embeded processors and could not deliver G5's,
SUN was considered as a replacment. Remember at the time Intel had not
yet produced the CORE processor line and could not produce a high end
desktop at a reasonable price.

Geoff.