[rescue] Sun is purple - not blue....

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 11:04:01 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:48:12AM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> You mean like the Ultra 5? It was basically just a cheap crappy PC with a
>> SPARC processor.
> Why buy a $20,000 workstation when a $2,000 one will do the job.

Mostly because you could get a similar PC for rather less. Come while 1999,
the PC had already lost most of the worst misfeatures of the hardware
"design" and AMD had finally made a CPU that didn't suck. (I know, I bought
one for GBP700 in September 1999 and got many happy years of usage out of
it.)