[rescue] Sun is purple - not blue....

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Mar 18 10:50:03 CDT 2009

Mark Brown wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has been watching this - some depressing news ...
>
> http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/ibm-in-talks-to-buy-sun-microsystems/
>

> sigh
>
> /M

My take is that IBM was asked to buy it as a favor to the Feds.

They wouldn't want the Chinese to come in and buy Sun due to the many
Fed contracts and the heavy use of SPARC in certain gov't installations.

POWER has not delivered, from what I can see ( I am sure I will be
flamed for this, but has anyone really seen POWER perform in a
price/power competition outside of an all-IBM shop?)

Maybe a combination of Sun's ability to actually ship silicon (though
late) and a POWER core with 64 cores on chip, would really rock the
boat.  Jazz up VIS with some Cell under the covers and you can really
accelerate performance without having to change any APIs.

--Patrick