[rescue] Netra X1 HD tray

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:58:36 CDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Mark Brown <sunrescue at marknmel.com> wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Yes, I've checked. My Netra X1 once had a second drive (the IDE cable
>> is still in the case), but the second drive/tray were removed.
>>
> Bummer!
>> I was pleased to see that my unit had the full compliment of RAM (4x
>> 256 Meg - it's a 400 MHz CPU system), but I was not a winner in the
>> "spare drive tray" lottery... (Or, sadly, the Power Ball Lottery
>> either)
>>
> Nice, that it has 4x256M.   Mine is a little tight at 512M (4x128).
> Anyone want to send me some sticks to Canada? ...Please :-)
>
> You should also pull the heatsink.  My cpu was stamped 500MHz, but
> clocked @440.  You can guess what I did next....

Well, I can guess, but I'm not sure the small increase in CPU speed is
worth the risk of wedging the X1.

Mine is clocked at 400, so I think it is a different motherboard/CPU
config than your board.

>> Glad to hear the IDE seems better, the limit, BTW, is 137 Gig as I
>> recall,
> Right you are.  I had a D'oh moment after hitting send.
>> but that's fine - one or two New Old Stock 80 Gig IDE drives
>> are all I plan to put in there...
> The 80's should work ok.  Did in my U10 while I used that.... You
> could start with the stock drive, drop to LOM, get the temperatures
> - then start upgrading disk, measuring as you go.
> Let us know the findings...
>
> While speaking of Netra's - has anyone replaced a CDROM in a T105
> with a sun slim DVDROM?  I'm getting a T105 from $WORK that I would
> like to use for Asterisk development....

I don't think the CD drive is special/non-standard in the T105 - do
you have a dead drive in the one you are going to get? You could
install from a 5 1/4" optical drive hanging outside the case (not
mounted) I bet

Lionel