[rescue] AS400 iSeries questions...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Mar 4 10:58:44 CST 2009

Voices on the wind brought me a message from: Bill Bradford
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:14:40AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> 3) What's the maintenance on these like?  Do I have to patch regularly
>> even if I'm not opening it to the outside world?  Do I have to reboot it
>> every night? When I patch?
>
> Reboot an AS/400 every night?
>
> *blink*
>
> Maybe reboot it once a YEAR.. 8-)

Yeah...let's just say that I've run across at least one company that does
that and let it go at that okay? :-)

I take it these things are patchable without rebooting/IPL?

I've ordered some books but until I can find either an emulator or a
system it's going to be tough to learn this stuff.
--
Mike

If the universe is a giant stage production then it's Sweeney Todd and
we're all meat-pies.