[rescue] SUCCESS with Coherent

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Wed Jun 10 16:32:19 CDT 2009

Mark Brown wrote:
> I met a fella at $WORK.  He had a saying (not sure if it was genuinely
> his or not) - "There is nothing that cannot be solved with one more
> layer of indirection"

I had thought there was a quote from Dennis Ritchie about solving any
problem  with another layer of abstraction, but I'm seeing similar
things attribued to all manner of people when I search for it. Wikipedia
attributes the following to David Wheeler: "/All problems in computer
science can be solved by another level of indirection."/

John Floren wrote:
> We say that in jest around the Plan 9 area...

I wouldn't say it's in jest at all, given Plan 9's origins within the
same group(s) at Bell Labs. While Rob Pike may not have looked at it as
a direct evolution of Research UNIX - or perhaps he did, it's all a blur
these days - it certainly benefited and drew from the history, thinking,
and staff from those earlier efforts.

Now that I think about it, I may be remembering a talk Rob gave about
Inferno rather than Plan 9. But anyway... I'll go back to watching
Matlock and yelling at the kids in front of my house now.

--S.

"Chaos will ensue if the variable i is altered..." - SysV Programmers Guide