[rescue] Netapp F840

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Jan 27 21:37:46 CST 2009

On 1/27/09 5:54 PM, "Mark Brown"  wrote:

> I'll reply to myself - to tie up this lose end.
>> PANIC: NVRAM3 charger check returns a bad value. in process
>> nvram3_read_battery on release NetApp Release 7.1.2 on Sun May  2
>> 23:54:22 GMT 1971
> Seems like there is more than one problem on this guy.  The OS disks
> were missing a plex, and battery charger for the battery backed cache is
> toast.  So if I want to use this guy, I need a cache card for a F840.

It's probably a long shot, but if an F630 can supply a suitable card, mine
is sitting idle in the garage. I seem to remember that mine took CR2032
button batteries, but it's been a long while since I had it opened up, much
less running.

I can try and poke around on NOW and see if there's a chance.

I'd like to run my F630, but with OpenFiler and >1 TB SATA drives so cheap,
it doesn't make much sense. Especially since OnTAP tops out at 6.x-something
on the 630.

If anyone can use anything out of the thing, let me know. I've got 4 SCSI
shelves, 2 with 9GB drives, and two empties, with all the sleds.

Steve