[rescue] SA4008 disk drive belt?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Jan 25 10:09:28 CST 2009

From: Skeezics Boondoggle <skeezicsb at gmail.com>

> Would anyone just happen to have a replacement Shugart SA4008 disk
> drive belt (part #10904) laying about?  Or suggestions for how to
> safely refurbish one?
>
> It's physically in good shape, with no apparent cracks, warping or
> damage, but it slips off just a few seconds after applying power.  The
> inside of the belt has pretty much worn smooth.  There are no
> instructions in the OEM manual or readily apparent tensioning
> adjustments on the drive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Chris

I would attempt to clean off any crud or "smoothness" with isopropyl alcohol.
I've gotten various rollers and belts working again by a simple cleaning.  Sometimes those belts can pick up material or have some sort of chemical breakdown on the surface and become slick and not have the friction they once had.

Bob