[rescue] test old hardware

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:42:40 CST 2009

Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke) is a hard drive wiping program. It WILL
> destroy all data on the hard drive if you tell it to. By doing a
> seven-pass overwrite on the drive, it'll keep the machine busy for a
> long time, and serves as a good 'stress test' for the drive itself.
> If the drive fails, makes funny sounds, or the program reports sector
> errors, then it's time to replace the hard drive.

I hadn't thought of using DBAN for testing hard drives, but it makes
perfect sense.  I'll have to keep that as a more thorough test to run if
I'm still unsure about a drive after checking it with the IBM/Hitachi
Drive Fitness Test or the manufacturer's diagnostics.

A more general purpose stress testing tool I've found useful in the past
is stresslinux[0]. It's a minimal live CD distro that contains some
benchmark/burn-in programs that can be used to generate a high workload
on a system.  There's some standalone programs like cpuburn, bonnie++,
netio, memtest86/+, etc that can be used to stress just one specific
subsystem.  However, I normally use the stress program that's also
included.  The way it works is it has different types of worker
processes that are designed to strain cpu, memory, I/O, and disk. You
start it with parameters that make sense for your hardware and how badly
you want to thrash the system and then walk away and check back on it X
hours/days later. It also includes hddtemp and lm_sensors for
temperature monitoring, in case you want to use it to test your cooling
or the stability of an overclock or whatever.