[rescue] quad head pci video cards

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Jan 24 11:24:14 CST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:31:55 -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Do you recall, were the moster rack sized CrayLink routers used
> at all?  Was CrayLink used between racks, or was it strictly HIPPI
> between racks?  I'm just curious how the really big systems (above 128
> CPUs) were built.

Just cleaning up my mail folders, and found this which I don't think
was answered on list. Just in case ...

O2K's _did_ use CrayLinks between racks (at least they did if you
wanted multiple racks to look like a single system). In fact I think
that the two 8-cpu modules in the rack were also linked with CrayLink
cables, but possibly not at the bottom of the rack.

Pretty thick dinosaur cable it was too ... I remember it was quite a
bit of work getting two racks connected and keeping the cables neat.

I think you could get up to 4 racks connected without a router rack (64
processors). The published maximum size of an O2K system was 128 cpus,
but a number of sites went further by (?) using custom routers.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
'I met the well connected, the powerful and the rich; I saw little to