[rescue] quad head pci video cards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:57:06 CST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> I've not been able to find any specifications for these  :<
>>> I've been looking for a couple of dual head PCI cards for a
>>> pair of servers here (don't ask  :> ).  But, not knowing
>>> what these are capable of (resolution, driver, etc.)...
>> I'll second someone else's suggestion of the Matrox G450 card, but
>> also the ATI 9250 is another good choice for a low-priced, well-
>> performing PCI video card, which I believe supports dual heads. The
>> Matrox boards are (I believe) considered server grade boards...
>
> Not really.
>
> Matrox caters to a lot of TV and movie production outfits.  Their
> video cards are more workstation-grade than server-grade.

Your speaking to their portfolio of products, I wrote about 3 specific
card families (GX 400/450 and 550).

In my mind, when I say "Server Grade", I typically mean cards with
(typically) only a few megabytes of RAM and no built-in hardware
acceleration for really anything. The ATI 9250 cards I mentioned
before are not server grade (in my mind), they are low-end modern
cards that support older/slower bus technologies.

Lionel