[rescue] OS2 on ATMs

Fred fred at miser.misernet.net
Wed Feb 25 19:06:49 CST 2009

From:	SMTP%"rescue at sunhelp.org" 25-FEB-2009 15:17:01.50
To:	rescue at sunhelp.org
CC:
Subj:	rescue Digest, Vol 75, Issue 29

From: james at jdfogg.com
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Subject: Re: [rescue] XP Embedded

>This may be because OS2 was the prior popular choice for these systems.

A very good point - however the OS2 version were reliable and I could knock
them over with a forklift (literally, don't ask ...) and they'd still run OK.
The Windows versions?  They'd fall over if you looked at them cross eyed.  Bad
software development by the ATM software writers or bad choice of OS?  That's
left as an exercise to the reader.  If you had physical access?  fuggedaboudit.

* yes, I know if you have physical access in general the machine is toast, but
the OS/2 and hardware (essentially a logic board) ATMs were MUCH more difficult
to break into unless you knew them intimately.  I've encountered Windows ATMs
with the desktop on the consumer screen ...

Fred