[rescue] Sun v240 serial console

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:36:02 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Pete <leaknoil at comcast.net> wrote:
> OK I'm stuck. I have a Sun V240 here that talks to me but, I cant talk to.
>
> I have tried a few different cables etc on the serial mgt port and nothing.
> Everything is set to 9600 8n1. No flow control. This same setup works with
> every other rj45 LOM based sun I have. Just not this 240.
>
> It displays all the normal boot up or diagnostic messages but, when it gets
> to any place for input I can't enter anything. Be it 'ok' or 'enter #.'
>  Sending a break does nothing as well.
>
> I tried hooking up a Sun usb keyboard and when I set the box into diag mode
> it is reported as keyboard found but, nothing I type on it works. On other
> Sun's I've tried this on its worked when there was serial cable issues.
>
> I have no idea about any previous settings of this machine. I cant do a
> printenv or such to see them so, no idea what the thing is set to. The same
> exact cable setup works fine with a b1600, v120, X1, t1/ac200, and
> everything else I've tried so far. It feels like a config issue.
>
> I tried popping out the battery and doing the clear cmos jumper but, no
> change. These things have a SCC smart card that holds some config info so,
> it may be in there anyway.  I have no other 240 to swap cards with and the
> cards from other Sun's just give me SCC in not valid messages.

Tossing out ideas, based on working with V210s and V480/90s:

Does it have an OS?  If you see the network being config'd can you try
putting a cross-over cable between it and another box, and configuring
the other box appropriately to talk over the network to it?  (Assuming
you have root/user password or whatever.)

Tried the <stop>><N> trick to force full diags?  Maybe console input
eeprom alias is set improperly?

=Nadine=