[rescue] Oh yeah ...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Feb 20 14:09:44 CST 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find a way to turn that
>> stuff off.  If you know where the magic's hidden, please share the secret.
>
> Most of it gets turned off by going to "Tools -> Folder Options..." and
> changing "Tasks" to "Use Windows classic folders".  If you then change
> the view from "Tiles" to "Icons", that should make everything a bit
> better.  You can then apply that to all folders automatically.

Oh, I've done all that already.  That was the first thing I did.
Subsequent experimentation has shown that the only view in which XP
doesn't feel the need to spread everything across half a screen
interspersed with shiny helpful banners to tell me blindingly obvious
things I already know is the "List" view.  But even then, it still
insists on displaying "Shared Documents" and "[user]'s Documents" in there.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.