[rescue] Oh yeah ...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 19 21:48:15 CST 2009

Mark Brown wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> ...while I'm at it, anyone have an extra optical drive that'll work in
>> an Inspiron 4100?  The 4100 we were just given came with dual batteries,
>> but no removable-media drives at all.  I don't know whether it'll boot
>> from a USB flash drive or not.  (Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it
>> tomorrow.
> I can confirm that the Inspiron 4000's and 4100's do -not- USB flash
> boot or USB CD boot.  (Even with the latest firmware).

Bugger.

Well, knowing I don't have to paddle up that creek saves me a bunch of
time.  Thanks.

Plan A was to use Partition Magic to create a second partition, copy a
2KProSP4 CD to the second partition, and see if I could boot from that.
 But Partition Magic 8 won't touch the partition table because
"Partition's drive letter cannot be identified".

(It has XPSP3 now, which is painful with only 256MB RAM.  The goal is to
dual-boot 2KPro and either Slackware or Gentoo.  Tough to set up without
an optical drive.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.