[rescue] More IBM emulation fun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 11 11:07:26 CST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> Also, we can emulate an S/390, etc, but what about an AS/400?

I've long thought that the AS/400 would be Really Fun to emulate.  The
virtual-machine nature of the architecture would seem to make it possible
to have an "emulated" AS/400 on amd64 that would be faster (in terms of
CPW) than anything before the POWER5-based iSeries systems.

I/O would still vary, but most of the smallish AS/400 systems didn't have
impressive I/O performance.

All that said, I don't know if the necessary documentation exists.  I'll
have to ask some of the ex-IBMers that work here if such a thing existed
where someone could've plausibly laid hands on it without an NDA.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken