[rescue] More IBM emulation fun

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 10:42:43 CST 2009

Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> It's nowhere near as fast.  If you want exact numbers, I can probably run
>> some benchmarks for you.
>
> That would be kind of cool, but I don't require anything like that....
> 2Ghz Mac OSX laptop vs. ES/9000 !!!! :D

Well, just looking at the rated statistics, a seriously fast
top-of-the-line PC running only Hercules can run about 300 MIPS.  The
smallest possible configuration of the previous-to-current generation of
IBM mainframe (System z9) runs a touch more than 600 MIPS.

Plus, don't forget that the I/O capability of a modern mainframe is
quite impressive.  A PC has a teeny tiny fraction of the I/O capability.

Peace...  Sridhar