[rescue] More IBM emulation fun

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Feb 11 09:16:56 CST 2009

" From: Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com>
"
" []
"
" It goes to show just how unnecessarily complex EMACS is if it can
" EMULATE Vim ;)

eight megabytes and constantly swapping  [-that's- an oldie]
esc-meta-alt-ctl-shift

" On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 09:02 -0500, der Mouse wrote:
"
" > I co-run a mud, and one of the players has set as a connect message
" >
" > "Emacs is a nice OS - but it lacks a good text editor.  That's why I'm
" > using vim."  --Anonymous
"
" That's pretty close, it's known as a witty retort of Vim users (which is
" why I use it - I've been using Vim ever since I got into Open Source
" OSs, because you only GET Vim on a install-base install of NetBSD ;))

same here.  vi -was- the first editor i learned, but it's also the
only one on the dist tapes/discs of sV, sunos4, etc.  i did try emacs
but found it a big learning curve with apparently little reward - and
i had to know vi as well anyway.

now, after 20+ years of vi everywhere - including my email editor -
and vi-mode ksh, i practically think vi.

btw when i was at att-bl i once tried compiling ksh88 without emacs
support, since it was flaggable in the options file, but it failed.