[rescue] More IBM emulation fun

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:08:24 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 13:49 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> >>Bill, how long did the restore take from Bob Abeles's tape files? I've
> >>stopped it twice now because it's done the disk write in no time and
> >>proceeded to dump squillions of lines of interupts to the Hercules
> >>console. Is that right?
> >>
> >Can you post a URL to the files?
>
> Having had more time, I found them on cbttape.org. besides wanting to
> learn how to do it from scratch, is there any reason not to use the 4
> pack system?

Learning to bootstrap the machine from scratch was one reason, the other
was that was what I found first and I had no success with the 4-pack
because it's not set up for either of the systems I'm running it on.
Even with your helpful instructions, the cbttape.org/Bob Abeles method
is actually easier by virtue of the fact it's *less* complete :)

> I may be a bad test case, having installed a 4 pack system before under
> hercules, and having installed many VM systems on the real hardware.
> I'm not sure the real ones count, it's been long enough ago that I've
> forgotten most of it.

Knowing what I now know from Bill, I could *probably* have it up and
running on my laptop in my lunchbreak toady :)

--
Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog