[rescue] Solaris 10 on Ultra 1 hardware - WAS: Netra NFS/Enterprise 150 question

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list at oryx.cc
Sun Feb 8 17:24:46 CST 2009

Here it is.  I wish I could say that I figured this out on my own, but I
made the request to another Solaris list back in 2005, and someone else
had helped me out.

At the time, I was at a company that literally had piles of Ultra 1's,
and I was using them as small, one off servers that typically provided a
single service, i.e. NFS, DNS, etc.

The post at the bottom are excerpts of the reply sent to me.  I haven't
played with this in some time, but I was able to get it going back then.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

On 02/08/09 07:44, kaboom wrote:
> I think the entire list wants to know. Please post a follow up.
> Greatly appreciated.
>

> On 8 Feb 2009, at 19:28, "Mark Brown" <sunrescue at marknmel.com> wrote:
>
>> Sandwich Maker wrote:
>>> " From: Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list at oryx.cc>
>>> "
>>> " Fyi,
>>> "
>>> " I have a write up/how to on getting Solaris 10 on 64 bit Sun
>>> Ultra 1
>>> " hardware, if any one is interested.
>>>
>>> i am!
>>>
>> Me too! :-)
>>
>> Thanks

Please note that this applies primarily to 1E class machines with the
hme interface. While it is possible to get the non-E machines (which use
the old 10 Mbit/s le interface) to run, it is somewhat more involved
since you need to install the necessary drivers which (while doable) is
somewhat messy.

Here's the procedure I used:

* Use inetboot or ufsboot from the last Solaris Express release (11/03)
   which supported those machines.

   Place ufsboot in /platform/sun4u and inetboot (in addition to using
it on the tftp server) in /usr/platform/sun4u/lib/fs/nfs.

* Create symlinks from SUNW,Ultra-1 to SUNW,Ultra-2 in /platform and
   /usr/platform.

Please note that for the installation to succeed, you will probably have
to install a jumpstart server since an installation attempt from CD-ROM
will fail due to the missing SUNW,Ultra-1 symlinks.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-compress which had a name of us1boot.tar.Z]