[rescue] Netra NFS/Enterprise 150 question

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Feb 7 18:20:16 CST 2009

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i've been running a succession of u1s in 64b s8 for 4-odd years now
> without incident.  what decided me was reading a paper that said the
> opcode combination needed to crash the chip -could-not- be emitted by
> any compiler and needed to be handcrafted specifically - iow, you
> couldn't stumble across it accidentally.

    My E-150 has been running in 64-bit mode for at least that long
and has never so much as even burped.  It was likely the same paper
that turned my mind on the matter, and since I run my machine in a
tightly-controlled environment (I have the sole login), I deemed the
issue not worth worrying about.

> i think they just try to use features that aren't in the u1 chip.

    This is more likely.

> " *: In practise the biggest problem of allowing students to login to a
> " multiuser machine and run code is that they were taught at $work to
> " turn off the optimiser (because "it changes your code") and were under
> " the impression that an infinite loop that didn't do anything would
> " eventually exit.
>
> the shallow end of the gene pool.

    Oh, that's a good one.  I need to remember that.  Thanks!