[rescue] emulation fun

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Feb 3 09:31:33 CST 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
> > Now this is the part where I show off :)
> > Anyone wants to see S/390 4-way PU?
> > http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/cpu.html?show=IBM-MCM
>
> I have two ES/9000s, two S/390 G1s, an S/390 G5, a Honeywell-Bull
> DPS9000/900 and peripherals for all of the above.

I only have one ES/9000, one MP/2003, one S/390 G5, and used to have a
S/390 G3, but that had some thermal issues I think, but I still have
the board and backplanes out of a G3 that someone tried to sell on
ebay.. I still have the pulled MCM from my bad G3, and the spare one.

I've unfortunately found it quite difficult to get the stuff necessary
to replace the failed disk in the Thinkpad "Service Element" laptop (ie
reinstallation software) if you don't have an IBM contract, which is
why the first thing I did with my MP/2003 when I got it was to make an
image of its SE's hard disk (also, it uses a desktop PC instead of a
laptop, so it was easier to pull the disk out).

Of course, I have the necessary peripherals too... A 3274, a few 3174s,
a 3172-001, a 3803 with 3x 3420 m8's, a 9343-C01 (uh, I think, it's a
rack of 8" drives - I mean DASD - around 1-2GB each), and a StorageTek
9393-XY3 DASD box, and a pair of 3480-A22s with four racks of 3480-B22
drives (2 with the autoloader).  And I'm sure that there's probably
other things that I haven't thought of.

Pat