[rescue] emulation fun

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:33:37 CST 2009

On 2 Feb 2009, at 16:05, Dennis Boone wrote:
[...]
> I seem to recall 3 megabytes per second per channel.  Seems like we
> had
> 32 channels.  Computationally, the /200J (or was it the /180? memory
> fades...) was about equivalent to an 80486.  For VM/CMS, the block
> size
> was commonly 4k.
>
> The impressive thing was not so much the bandwidth of one channel, as
> the fact that the machine could supposedly sustain full rate across
> all
> channels simultaneously.  Consider the main memory bandwidth needed to
> achieve that while also running all the applications.

The Sun Fire X5400 "Thumper" is basically a PC with 48 SATA channels
and four GigE network ports. Sun claim it can shuttle data between
disk and network at 1GB/s, that is, all four ports running flat-out
bidirectionally.

PCs are no longer the cruddy old things with slow ISA busses that
we've all mocked for decades.